Alfred State (1-8. 1-4) at Castleton (1-8, 0-5)
4th meeting, Castleton leads series 3-0, Castleton defeated Alfred State 49-21 last year
November 10th * 1 p.m. * Dave Wolk Stadium
|2018 Record (Overall/Conference)||1-8 (1-4 ECFC)||1-8 (0-5 ECFC)|
|2018 Offensive Numbers||
122.9 rushing yds/game
186.3 pass yds/game
122.8 rushing yds/game
194.2 pass yds/game
|2018 Defensive Numbers||39.7 points/game
217.2 rushing yds/game
253.4 pass yds/game
243.8 rushing yds/game
216.9 pass yds/game
|Players to Watch||WR #5 Jalen Long||RB #24 Moe Harris|
|RB #25 Ronnie Clark||QB #15 Michell Caron|
|S/P #26 Michael Zimmerman||LB #44 Grant Cummings|
|LB #49 Brockton Weist||DL #93 Chris Rice|
|LB #35 Brandon Davis||DB #9 Zak Pollicino|
Scouting Alfred State:
- Last Week: The football team used big plays as they defeated Anna Maria 30-28 in the final home game of the 2018 season. Ronnie Clark had a monster day for the Pioneer offense. He rushed 34 times for 209 yards and two scores. Clark's effort led to his first collegiate game with more than 100 yards. Carter Harman completed just three passes on the day (3 for 9) but passed for 102 yards and two scores. Jalen Long had just one catch for 60 yards and is now over 900 yards (917) on the season while Cade Marks caught a 28-yard touchdown pass. John Lauretti led the Pioneer defense with 12 tackles (nine solo) and a pair of sacks. Kyle Backert had 11 tackles, Austin Parker had nine tackles and Brockton Weist chipped in eight tackles and one sack. Bladimir Vargas came up with two big special teams play, a forced fumble that led to Clark's second touchdown run and a blocked punt.
- For their solid efforts in the Pioneers last week, Clark, Lauretti, and Vargas were honored by the ECFC.
- Jalen Long needs only 83 yards receiving to become the first Pioneer in school history to record 1,000 yards in a season. He needs just 11 yards to become the all-time season leader and pass Mark Wolfe's 927 yards during the 2002 season.
- Ronnie Clark had his best collegiate game of his career as he raced to over 200 yards. He was very effective in the wildcat formation and the combination of Clark and Kiegan Brown will be key to success at Castleton. The Spartans are allowing 243.8 rushing yards per game and have allowed 26 rushing touchdowns.
- John Lauretti sparked a defensive effort that recorded 12 tackles for a loss. Lauretti now leads the team with five sacks and 13 tackles for a loss. Joining veterans like Lauretti and Michael Zimmerman with solid efforts on the defense our younger players like Kyle Backert (44 tackles), Adam Bellaus (36 tackles), and Brockton Weist (34 tackles).
- The Pioneers won the turnover battle last week vs. Anna Maria but will need to continue that this week. The Pioneer defense has five inteceptions and eight fumble recoveries on the season.
- Last Week: Castleton led 10-0 at halftime over Dean last week but the Bulldogs rattled off 19 unanswered points en route to a 19-17 victory. Moe Harris became Castleton's all-time leader in all-purpose yardage, collecting 154 total yards in the contest to bring his career total to 5,555 yards. He surpasses Kevin Alberque, who totaled 5,473 yards from 2011 through 2014, and is ranked fourth in the nation in career all-purpose yardage among active players. Harris collected 102 yards on the ground, the fifth time this season he has topped the 100-yard mark rushing the football. Mitchell Caron completed 20-of-38 pass attempts on the day for a total of 227 yards, but was picked off three times by the Dean defense. Anthony Martinez and Harris each hauled in six passes from Caron, with Martinez totaling 79 yards through the air. Seth Gewanter and Grant Cummings led the team with eight tackles apiece and combined for four tackles for a loss. Chris Rice had 2.5 tackles for a loss in the contest as part of a seven-tackle day, while the Spartan defense totaled 12 tackles for a loss for the second time this season and the fourth time in program history.
- Senior Moe Harris is one of the top running backs in the ECFC. He is averaging 97 yard per game and has 10 touchdowns rushing this season. Harris rushed for 147 yards and three scores vs. Alfred State last year. Harris has 1,531 total all-purpose yards on the season.
- Senior quarterback Mitchell Caron and freshman Jacob McCarthy have both seen action in eight games this year and have similar pass attempt numbers. Caron has passed for 925 yards and six scores while McCarthy has passed for 803 yards and three touchdowns. The duo has also combined to throw 16 interceptions.
- Grant Cummings leads the defense with 50 tackles while Chris Rice has five of the team's eight sacks of the season to go along with 39 tackles.
- Castleton is converting only 30% (37 for 123) of their 3rd down conversions and 28% (7 for 25) on 4th down.
Around the ECFC:
Husson 6-0 ECFC - 7-2 overall * clinched ECFC title
Maritime 4-1 ECFC - 6-3 overall
Dean 3-2 ECFC - 4-5 overall
Gallaudet 3-2 ECFC - 3-4 overall
Alfred State 1-4 ECFC - 1-8 overall
Anna Maria 1-4 ECFC - 1-8 overall
Castleton 0-5 ECFC - 1-8 overall
Games this week:
Saturday 11/10: Alfred State at Castleton, Husson at Plymouth State, Anna Maria at Dean, & Maritime at Gallaudet
Game Day Information:
Up Next: The Pioneers open up the 2019 season on September 7th, 2019 with a road trip to UMass Dartmouth.