UMass Dartmouth (0-0) vs. Alfred State (0-0)
2018 Season Opener
September 1st * 1 p.m. * Pioneer Stadium
|Alfred State||UMass Dartmouth|
|2017 Record (Overall/Conference)||1-9 (1-6 ECFC)||4-6 (4-4 MASCAC)|
|2017 Offensive Numbers||
88.2 rushing yds/game
126.0 pass yds/game
164.1 rushing yds/game
230.6 pass yds/game
|2017 Defensive Numbers||36.1 points/game
188.2 rushing yds/game
215.3 pass yds/game
123.5 rushing yds/game
186.3 pass yds/game
|Players to Watch:||QB #3 Dashown Wilson||QB #11 Stephen Gacioch|
|RB #25 Ronnie Clark||WR #2 Leroy Brown|
|DE #55 John Lauretti||LT #72 Quinn Fallon|
|DB #26 Michael Zimmerman||FS #34 Jacob Burkhead|
|WR #1 Malek Williams||LB #1 Tony Slaughter|
|DB #2 Josh Smith||DT #51 Zakk Rodrigues|
Scouting Alfred State:
- The game is the first for Alfred State with Scott Linn at the helm. Linn was named the 4th coach in program history last spring.
- Alfred State has never played UMass Dartmouth - the two teams will battle at UMass Dartmouth next season. This is the first of two games this season vs. opponents that the Pioneers have never played before.
- This is the first time since 2015 the Pioneers are opening up a season at home.
- Dashown Wilson has moved back to the quarterback position after playing in the defensive backfield last year. He will hope to connect with talented wide receivers like Jalen Long, Malek Williams, and Ricky Hagins.
- Kiegan Brown, the ECFC Rookie of the Year, returns to the be a key cog in the running game. Newcomer Ronnie Clark has also been impressive at camp.
- The offensive line will be anchored by veterans Devon Clark and Sam VanValkenburg. Jevon Jeremy and transfer Zac Clendenin will also be key.
- John Lauretti will be key on the defensive side of the ball. He was a 1st team All-ECFC selection last year after leading the team in tackles and sacks.
- Joe Gibson, Brandon Davis, and Justin Reid-Espinal will be asked to disrupt and make big plays for the defense.
- Michael Zimmerman is joined in the defensive backfield by newcomer Josh Smith and returners Learoy Smith and Austin Parker.
- Winning the turnover battle and gaining momentum early will be key for the Pioneers in this contest and throughout the season.
Scouting UMass Dartmouth:
- Corsairs head coach Mark Robichaud enters his 12th season at the helm of UMass Dartmouth.
- UMass Dartmouth won their final two games of the 2017 season and hope to bring that momentum into 2018.
- Antonio Mitjans and Antonio Slaughter are the co-captains of the team. Mitjans is a three year starter on the offensive line while Slaughter collected 57 tackles (46) while recording a pair of interceptions and a team-best nine break-ups last season.
- The Corsairs had a balanced attack last year averaging nearly 400 yards of offense a game. They averaged 164.1 yards rushing and 230.6 yards passing. The defense intercepted 15 passes but were slowed down by 700 yards of penalty yards.
Around the ECFC:
Friday 8/31: Dean @ Curry & WPI @ Anna Maria
Saturday 9/1: UMass Dartmouth @ Alfred State, Maritime @ Maine Maritime, Husson @ Union, Gallaudet @ Alvernia, Plymouth State @ Castleton
Game Day Information:
- Live Stats
- Live Video - free SD version - $4 for HD version - no audio other than natural sound and public address announcements.
- Tickets: $5 for Adults, $2 for Seniors, Free for Alfred State Students/Faculty & Staff, and youth under 13.
- Tailgating in Lot 20 will open at 10 a.m. - Tailgaiting Rules and Regulations
Up Next: Alfred State travels to Oneonta for a 5 p.m. contest at Hartwick while UMass Dartmouth hosts Delaware Valley at Noon.