During the winter break, upgrades to the Alfred State fitness center options were made. Over $120,000 was put into improvements at the Pioneer Fitness Center and a brand new Cardio Fitness Studio was opened in the MacKenzie Complex.
Gene Doorley, fitness center director, is excited with the improvements made over the break. "In recent years, there has been an expansion in the way students and our college community value and pursue fitness. With nearly 20,000 usages per semester, it is evident that our campus understands the importance of an active lifestyle. We are excited with all of these improvements to our fitness facilities and committed to providing fitness facilities and an environment that supports our members in this philosophy."
Equipment from the Pioneer Fitness Center was cleared out in early January and new gym flooring was installed. After the installation of the new flooring the main weight area received a facelift with brand new equipment.
The new equipment includes:
- Precor Half Racks (Power Racks) - with Chins, Band Attachments, and Landmines - with adjustable benches
- Precor Icarian Plate Loads Stations - Seated Row, Incline Chest Press, Squat, Leg Curl
- Precor Icarian Modular Station - 5 Stack - Cross over Cable, Seated Row, Lat Pull Down, Adjustable High Low Pulley, Chin/Dip Assist
- Precor Discovery Strength Circuit - Low Row, Chest Press, Lat Pull Down, Shoulder Press, Delt/Pec Fly, Rotary Torso, Back Extension, Abdominal Crunch, Leg Press, Leg Extension, Leg Curl
- UMAX Urethane Dumbbell set - 2,500 lbs. of UMAX Urethane Weights
- Texas Power Bars - 4 Olympic Power Bars
- Core Training Station - Adj. Decline Bench, Vertical Knee Raise, Back Extension, Mat Racks, Floor Mat
Prior to the major upgrade and in the last year, the Pioneer Fitness Center added a new UMAX Urethane Dumbbell Set, Four Floating Adjustable Benches, and a Kettle Bell Set.
The Pioneer Fitness Center still has Cardio Vascular area that features over 20 pieces equipment.
The Cardio Fitness Studio in MacKenzie Commons area features ten new pieces of cardio equipment with each machine equipped with individual TV displays. There are 2 Precor treadmills, 2 Precor EFX, 3 Precor elliptical, and 3 Precor bicycles.
In other improvements over the break, a new LED sign has been installed in front of the Orvis Activities Center and multiple locker rooms inside Orvis were upgraded.
The LED sign will be used to feature upcoming college events, news, and announcements. The board will use AxisTV technology to convey sharp messages that can be updated in real time while new tiling, showerheads, and lighting have been installed in multiple locker room areas. The upgrades modernize areas that Pioneer student-athletes and visiting teams will use daily.