Hartwick at Alfred State
Saturday, September 9, 2017 * 6 p.m. * Pioneer Stadium (Alfred, NY)
History between Teams: 1st meeting between the two teams. The two teams play again next year at Hartwick
Common Opponents: The only common opponent is Morrisville. The Pioneers scrimmaged the Mustangs while the Hawks battle Morrisville on Oct. 7th in Empire 8 play.
Players to Watch:
|WR: #89 Chase Prickett||QB: #4 Billy Pine|
|WR: #85 Reice Woodward||WR: #3 Koree Reed|
|CB/KR: #32 Austin Parker||WR: #12 Brad Garcia|
|DB: #32 Michael Zimmerman||LB: #38 Mark Hackett|
|CB: #6 Jhamel Cohen||S: #6 Matt Scotman|
Tale of the Tape:
7 ppg & 208 yards per game
(185 passing & 23 rushing)
3rd Down Conversion: 4 of 14
Red Zone: 1 of 1 - 1 TD
48 ppg & 589 yards per game
(539 passing & 50 rushing)
3rd Down Conversion: 2 of 7
Red Zone: 2 of 2 - 2 TD's
34 ppg & 346 yards per game
(240 passing & 106 rushing)
3rd Down Conversion: 5 of 12
Red Zone: 5 of 5 - 3 TD's, 2 FG's
31.1 ppg & 475.2 yards per game
(238 passing & 237.2 rushing)
3rd Down Conversion: 11 of 18
Red Zone: 7 of 9 - 7 TD's
Turnover Ratio: 0 (2 turnovers/2 takeaways)
Time of Possession: 35:05
Penalties: 4 for 30 yards
|Team Stats||Turnover Ratio: -1 (2 turnovers/0 takeaways)
Time of Possession: 22:57
Penalties: 10 for 88 yards
Scouting the Pioneers:
- The Pioneers open up the home portion of their season with their lone non-conference contest at Pioneer Stadium.
- The team is coming off a 34-7 defeat at Coast Guard last week (8/31). The freshmen duo of Reice Woodward (8 catches for 72 yards and a score) and Chase Prickett (5 catches for 52 yards) led the way for the offense. Eli Frantz was 14 for 17 for 115 yards in the 1st half. Austin Parker had a big day, leading the defense with 10 tackles and recording 79 yards in the return game (Parker returned the opening kickoff 100-yards for a score but the play was called back due to offsetting penalties). Jhamel Cohen intercepted a pass and Carlisle Philip recovered a fumble.
- The Pioneers will need to continue to move the chains - last week the team picked up 14 first downs and held the ball for 35:05 of the game including over 20 minutes in the 1st half. Improving the running game will key as the Pioneers only gained 23 yards last week.
- The defense forced two turnovers but was unable to record a sack on the day. Hartwick will play up-tempo and look pass first like the Coast Guard did last week.
- Hartwick passed for over 500 yards last week so the Pioneer secondary will be tested. Cohen and Parker along with Jamal Little and Kaieel Ward will need to be up for the task.
- Both Frantz and Hunter Evingham played a half at quarterback last week. Performances this week will help shape who might get the upper hand as ECFC play begins at the end of the month.
Scouting the Hawks:
- Member of the Empire 8
- 2016 Record: 2-8
- First of two trips to Alfred this year, they take on Alfred University on November 11th to wrap up the season.
- The Hawks lost a wild 48-47 opening day contest vs. Western Connecticut State. Hartwick led 28-0 in the 2nd quarter before WCSU rallied. The Hawks scored with 7:17 remaining in the game to retake the lead but Colonials scored put together a 5:23 drive and scored the game-winning TD with 1:46 remaining. Hartwick QB Billy Pine had a monster day finishing 24 for 39 for 539 yards and seven scores. His favorite target was Koree Reed who caught nine passes for 260 yards and three scores including a 89-yard play. Brad Garcia caught six passes for 174 yards and three scores.
- Hartwick has the edge on experience. They have only two freshmen listed as starters and four sophomores. They have a lot of experience with seniors Pine, Garcia, and Reed.
- Look for Hartwick to want to hold on to the ball more than they did last week. They had possession of the ball for under 23 minutes last week. Look for them to establish more of a running game with Tito Pichardo.
- The Hawks lost the turnover battle (-2) last week and missed two crucial extra points.
Game Day Information:
- Live Stats: http://www.alfredstateathletics.com/sports/fball/2017-18/boxscores/20170909_rr8s.xml
- Live Video - Free SD/$5 HD: https://boxcast.tv/view/football-vs-hartwick-547831
- Tickets: $5 for Adults, $2 for Seniors, Free for Alfred State Students/Faculty & Staff, and youth under 13.
- Tailgaiting in Lot 20 will open at 4 p.m. - Tailgaiting Rules and Regulations
Alfred State travels to the University of Rochester next Saturday (9/16) for a Noon kickoff vs. the Yellowjackets
Hartwick travels to Cortland next Saturday to open up Empire 8 play