Strength & Conditioning Center in Orvis
The Fitness Center, located in the Orvis Activities Center, is open to students of the college, faculty/staff, and members of the community. The Center consists of a 4,500 square foot space housing cardiovascular equipment, resistive weight equipment, and a free weight area.
Strength Room Hours (Hours might vary on staffing)
Monday - Thursday: 11 a.m. - 11 p.m.
Friday: 11 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Saturday - Sunday: 1 p.m. - 6 p.m.
- 7 Precor Power Racks with Husker Benches
- 34 pairs of York Dumbbells (5 lbs - 120 lbs)
- 1 Power System Glute-Ham
- 2 Magnum adjustable high/low pullies
- 7,000 lbs. of free weights
- 1 Magnum Lat Pull Down
- 1 Hoist Low Row
- 1 Precor Leg Press
- 1 Magnum Perfect Squat
- 1 Cybex Decline Bench
- 1 Cybex Seated Calf Raise
Cardio Vascular Training
- 3 Spin Bicycles
- 2 Expresso Bicycles
- 2 Concept II Rowing Machines
Student and Faculty and Staff Membership Information
- Full-time Students that are currently registered, without any holds on account (Does not include online students) have a membership to both facilities.
- Faculty and Staff also have to follow the below directions.
- YOUR COLLEGE ID IS YOUR FITNESS CENTER MEMBERSHIP CARD
- To access membership, students must log in to Banner Web. Once in Banner Web choose Personal Information Menu and click on Fitness Center Membership Form/Waiver. Complete the form and waiver 24 hours in advance to gain access.
Community Membership Information
Memberships are available for purchase with varying plans available for:
- Community members
To access membership a prospective member must come to the Center with proper identification and completed waiver.
Membership Fee Structure:
|3 months||6 months||full year|
|Alfred State Faculty & Staff||$45||$65||$110|
Liabilities & Injuries
Participants should be aware that there is a risk of personal injury due to the inherent nature of this activity. Each participant assumes the risk for any harm or injury. We encourage each individual to have a physical examination prior to participation. All accidents or injuries should be reported immediately to a member of the Fitness Center Staff.
Fitness Center Director - Gene Doorley
Phone: (607) 587-4355
Gene Doorley is a certified strength and conditioning specialist. He earned an associate degree from Alfred State College, a bachelor's degree in fitness and health from SUNY Cortland, and a master’s degree in Sport Management from Cortland. He also holds a physical education teaching certification from St. Bonaventure and is the head volleyball coach at Alfred State. Stop in to see Gene or call for an appointment.